Resource Guide | How to Size Your Glove
Let's take a look at the following Glove Sizing Guide. This will help both baseball and softball players find the perfect sized of glove.
At JustGloves, we like to keep things simple, which is why we like to determine glove size guide by age and what position you play. Whether you play infield, outfield, pitcher, first base , or catcher, we've got you covered.
*Note* Catcher gloves are measured by their circumference rather than top to bottom, which is why the sizing is so vastly different from other positions.
These size recommendations are a general guide and may not pertain to every player. However, they do provide a nice reference point to get you started. Also, we offer a 100 Day Guarantee on every single glove we sell. So, if your baseball glove or softball glove does not work out for whatever reason, you can send it back for a full refund or exchange --- as long as you are within 100 days from the original purchase date.
Adult Baseball Gloves
For adult baseball gloves, here are some key things to keep in mind:
- Typically, players 14 years and older use adult-sized gloves.
- Outfield Gloves offer a larger pattern size in comparison to infield gloves. This is because outfielders need a larger pocket to assist with pop flies while infielders need a smaller, shallower pocket to help with quick transitions.
For youth baseball gloves, here are key things to keep in mind:
- Youth gloves are recommended for younger players who are likely to outgrow their glove sooner rather than later.
- This is typically the case for player 12 years or younger.
- While the sizes of youth infielder gloves and youth outfielder gloves are comparable to adult baseball gloves, the difference is in the fit.
- Youth gloves will have smaller wrist openings and shorter finger stalls.
- Most manufacturers, such as Wilson and Rawlings, craft their youth gloves with a smaller wrist opening and tighter finger stalls for a more secure fit on a youth player's hand.
Fastpitch Softball Gloves
Due to the larger softball being used, Fastpitch softball gloves for both infield and outfield feature a larger pattern compared to baseball gloves. However, similar to youth baseball gloves, most fastpitch gloves will feature a smaller wrist opening and tighter finger stalls to accommodate a female athlete's hand. Typically, these softball gloves range from 11.75 inches all the way up to 13 inches.
Age: 13 & Over
- Infield Softball Gloves: 11.75 - 12.50 inch pattern
- Outfield Softball Gloves: 12.50 - 13.00 inch pattern
- First Base Softball Gloves: 12.00 - 13.00 inch pattern
- Catcher Softball Gloves: 31.50 - 34.50 inch pattern
Slow Pitch Softball Gloves
Slow pitch softball gloves are generally different than most other types. Slow Pitch softball gloves tend to run much larger in comparison to both baseball gloves and Fastpitch softball gloves and range from 12 inches all the way to 15 inches.
- Infield Slow Pitch Gloves: 12.00 - 13.00 inch pattern
- Outfield Slow Pitch Gloves: 12.50 - 15.00 inch pattern
- Manufacturers, such as Miken and Dudley, make gloves specifically for adult Slow Pitch softball players.
The main difference between a fielder's glove and pitcher's glove is the webbing. Most, if not all, pitcher's models feature either some form of a modified trapeze web or a fully closed web. This is intentionally done so that pitchers can hide the ball before they deliver a pitch. Other than that, sizes are similar to an infielder's glove.
- Baseball Pitcher Gloves: 11.50 - 12.00 inch pattern
- Fastpitch Softball Pitcher Gloves: 12.00 - 12.50 inch pattern
- Slow Pitch Softball Pitcher Gloves: 12.50 - 14.00 inch pattern
First Base Mitts
To be able to play first base, you need to be able to catch extremely well. Having the right sized mitt helps. First base glove sizes will range anywhere from 11.50 inches all the way up to 13 inches.
- Youth First Base Mitts: 11.50 - 12.50 inch pattern
- Adult Baseball First Base Mitts: 12.00 - 13.00 inch pattern
- Softball First Base Mitts: 12.50 - 13.00 inch pattern
Catcher's mitts not like any other glove. They have extra padding for protection while often being oval-shaped. These gloves range in size from 31 inches to 35 inches. This isn't because they are three times the size of a normal glove, but rather because these mitts are measured by their circumference rather than top to bottom.
- Youth Catcher's Mitts: 31.00 - 33.50 inch pattern
- Adult Catcher's Mitts: 32.00 - 35.00 inch pattern
- Fastpitch Softball Catcher's Mitts: 32.50 - 34.50 inch pattern
We hope this guide helped you figure out how to size a glove to fit your needs.
* Still needing help finding the perfect baseball glove or softball glove? Our knowledgeable Customer Coaches are available by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Live Chat, or toll-free phone number: 1-866-321-4568! *