The following guide gives you an idea of how to size a glove, regardless if you're a baseball player or a softball player. At JustBallGloves, we like to keep things simple, which is why we've broken our glove size guide down by age, whether you play infield or outfield, as well as pitcher's gloves, first base mitts, and catcher's mitts.
*Catcher gloves are measured by their circumference rather than top to bottom, which is why the sizing is different from other positions.
These size recommendations are an average and may not pertain to every single player. But, we offer a 100 Day Guarantee on every single glove. So, if your baseball glove or softball glove does not fit you perfectly, you can send it back for a full refund or exchange as long as it is 100 days from the original purchase date.
For these baseball gloves, here are key things to keep in mind:
- 14 years old or older is considered an adult.
- Outfielder Gloves offer a larger pattern size in comparison to infielder gloves because outfielders need a larger pocket to assist with pop flies while infielders need a smaller, more shallow pocket to help with quick transitions.
For youth baseball gloves, here are key things to keep in mind:
- Youth gloves are recommended for younger players who have not stopped growing and are likely to outgrow their glove sooner rather than later.
- The age range of youth players is 13 years old and under.
- Because of the wide range in age, the glove sizes have a larger range too. So, if you have a specific question or concern about the size of your child's glove, please give our Customer Coaches a call at 1-866-321-4568 or Live Chat now.
- While the sizes of youth infielder gloves and youth outfielder gloves are comparable to adult baseball gloves, the difference is in the wrist opening and finger stalls.
- Manufacturers, such as Wilson and Rawlings, craft their youth gloves with a smaller wrist opening and tighter finger stalls for a more secure fit on a youth player's hand. Keep that in mind while you're glove shopping for your little All-Star.
Due to the larger softball being used, Fastpitch softball gloves for both infield and outfield feature a larger pattern in comparison to baseball gloves. But, similar to youth gloves, a lot of models will feature a smaller wrist opening and tighter finger stalls to accommodate a female athlete's hand. Typically, these softball gloves range from 11.75 inches all the way up to 13 inches.
Age: 13 & Over
- Infield Softball Gloves: 11.75 - 12.50 inch pattern
- Outfield Softball Gloves: 12.50 - 13.00 inch pattern
- If you are a pitcher, first baseman, or catcher, size recommendations can be found at the bottom of the page.
Slow Pitch softball gloves are in a realm of their own. Slow Pitch softball gloves tend to run much larger in comparison to both baseball gloves and Fastpitch softball gloves and range from 12 inches all the way to 15 inches.
- Infield Slow Pitch Gloves: 12.00 - 13.00 inch pattern
- Outfield Slow Pitch Gloves: 12.50 - 15.00 inch pattern
- Manufacturers, such as Miken and Dudley, make gloves specifically for Slow Pitch softball.
The main differentiator between a fielder glove and pitcher's glove is the webbing. Most, if not all, pitcher's models feature either some form of a modified trapeze web or a fully closed web. This is intentional so that pitchers can hide the ball before they deliver a pitch. Other than that, sizes are similar to an infielder's glove.
- Baseball Pitcher Gloves: 11.50 - 12.00 inch pattern
- Fastpitch Softball Pitcher Gloves: 12.00 - 12.50 inch pattern
- Slow Pitch Softball Pitcher Gloves: 12.50 - 14.00 inch pattern
To be able to play first base, you need to be able to catch extremely well. Having the right sized mitt helps. First base glove sizes will range anywhere from 11.50 inches all the way up to 13 inches.
- Youth First Base Mitts: 11.50 - 12.50 inch pattern
- Adult Baseball First Base Mitts: 12.00 - 13.00 inch pattern
- Softball First Base Mitts: 12.50 - 13.00 inch pattern
Catcher's mitts are funky, to be honest. These gloves range in size from 31 inches to 35 inches. This isn't because they are three times the size of a normal glove, but rather because these mitts are measured by their circumference rather than top to bottom.
- Youth Catcher's Mitts: 31.00 - 33.50 inch pattern
- Adult Catcher's Mitts: 32.00 - 35.00 inch pattern
- Fastpitch Softball Catcher's Mitts: 32.50 - 34.50 inch pattern
With hope, this guide helped you figure out how to size a glove that fits your needs.
* Want help finding the perfect baseball glove or softball glove? Our knowledgeable Customer Coaches are available 24/7 by email: email@example.com, Live Chat, or toll-free phone number: 1-866-321-4568! *