When you dig into the dirt at first base, you want to feel confident in your mitt. It’s gotta have that undeniable 1B shape which consists of a long length and curved edges. That unique design is what will allow the mitt to handle the errant throws tossed your way. And if you’re stumped on what first base mitt to purchase, you can relax. Our Glove Experts have compiled a list of the best first base mitts for both baseball and fastpitch players. All of the mitts have been grouped by sport and category to help you dissect the list easily. Let’s dive in!
Best First Base Mitts For Baseball And Softball
- Wilson A2K SuperSkin 2820 12.25" Baseball First Base Mitt (WBW1000721225)
- Rawlings Player Preferred 12.5" Baseball First Base Mitt (PFBDCT)
- Wilson A2000 SuperSkin 2820 12.25" Baseball First Base Mitt (WBW1001211225)
- Marucci Oxbow 12.75" Baseball First Base Mitt (MFG2OX38S1)
- Mizuno MVP Prime 12.5" Baseball First Base Mitt (GXF50PB4)
- Akadema Prodigy 11.5" Youth Baseball First Base Mitt (AHC94-12)
- Rawlings Heart of the Hide 13" Fastpitch First Base Mitt (PRODCTSBW)
- Wilson A2000 SuperSkin FP1B 12.50" Fastpitch Softball First Base Mitt (WBW100219125)
- Marucci Palmetto 13" Fastpitch First Base Mitt (MFGPLM39S3FP)
- Mizuno MVP Prime 13" Fastpitch Softball First Base Mitt (GXF50FPW2)
- Shoeless Joe Shoeless Jane 12.5" Fastpitch First Base Mitt (1250FPFB)
Top 3 First Base Mitts For Baseball
1) Wilson A2K SuperSkin 2820 12.25" Baseball First Base Mitt (WBW1000721225)
The A2K series from Wilson represents the highest quality mitts and gloves being made by the iconic brand. All A2Ks will feature the Pro Stock Select Leather which represents the top 5% of Wilson’s Pro Stock leather. In addition to receiving the top pick of leather, these A2Ks also have Double Palm construction which puts a thin, strategically placed piece of leather between the palm shell leather and inner hand liner. This helps provide maximum pocket stability. Overall, this mitt will be perfect if a player is looking for a mitt that is a little shorter than the traditional 12.5 inch or 12.75 inch mitts. The shorter 12.25 inch length on this mitt won’t have as long of a reach, but it will provide the player with more control.
Three More Reasons To Buy:
- This mitt is really stiff which allows it to break into your preferences.
- Dual-break design allows for a single-break or dual-break formation.
- SuperSkin backing is lightweight, but strong.
2) Rawlings Player Preferred 12.5" Baseball First Base Mitt (PFBDCT)
If you’re looking for a low cost first base mitt that will break-in easily, then look no further! The Player Preferred will have you covered. The full grain leather is pre-oiled in the Rawlings factory and should come with a soft feel that only needs a short break-in period. As well, it should have some versatility in regard to fitting. It has a good shot at working for an adult and there are many youth players who will be able to use the mitt as they grow.
In our experience, we’ve found that it’s best not to mince words when describing gloves and mitts, so we’ll give you this short review from one of our customers:
“Easy to break in. Great fit! Son loves it.” - DJ Deprey
3) Wilson A2000 SuperSkin 2820 12.25" Baseball First Base Mitt (WBW1001211225)
Within the baseball glove world, the name Wilson A2000 says it all. The gloves and mitts that Wilson produces under this A2000 name come with their Pro Stock leather that performs at high levels season after season. This specific 1B mitt is designed with a 12.25” length and SuperSkin material. That shorter length and special material will make this mitt easy to maneuver when scooping baseballs out of the dirt at first base. Coach Andy Ford wrote on our site and spoke to the benefits of the SuperSkin backing with his comment below…
“Light weight and great construction. Broke in fast and my high school son loves it.”
Top 3 First Base Mitts For Fastpitch Softball
1) Rawlings Heart of the Hide 13" Fastpitch First Base Mitt (PRODCTSBW)
When you see the famed snorting bull in the palm, you know that you’re looking at one of the best mitts on the fastpitch market! This mitt will be made with full grain leather that should last many seasons. However, getting it game-ready won’t take long. In fact, Rawlings says that only 35% of the break-in will be left to the player. This Heart of the Hide is a must-have when you consider its great leather material, easy break-in and irresistible look.
Can’t Miss Features:
- 13-Inch Length
- Adjustable Pull-Strap Backing
- Rawlings’ DCT First Base Pattern
2) Wilson A2000 SuperSkin FP1B 12.50" Fastpitch Softball First Base Mitt (WBW100219125)
This A2000 is available for fastpitch ladies to use over at first base. This 1B model is going to provide a standard length of reach with its 12.5 inch length. And along with improving the reach, that length should help contribute to a pocket that is conducive for catching a softball. And as many of you know, SuperSkin is fantastic for creating a lightweight, yet strong mitt!
Three More Reasons To Buy:
- Comfort Pro Lining allows for extremely comfortable fit on a player’s hand
- Dri-Lex Wrist Lining wicks away moisture from back of hand while it is in the mitt
- Drawstring Wrist Closure allows for quick sizing adjustments
3) Marucci Palmetto 13" Fastpitch First Base Mitt (MFGPLM39S3FP)
First off, this Marucci mitt may be the best looking mitt or glove on the entire JustGloves site. We love the teal color combined with the white binding and tan lacing. And then the design compliments the look to create a mitt that will perform for a lady handling first base duties. The steerhide creates a stiffer feel on this Palmetto which will allow the break-in to be custom to the player’s preferences (even though it may take a little bit longer to get fully game-ready). As well, the M-Type fit is awesome as it creates an integrated pinky loop that removes the need for pinky loop ties to exist on the backing of the glove!
Need More Convincing?
- Deep Pocket Depth Design creates a rounded shape that allows for confidence in scooping balls at 1B
- Inner Hand Lining is made from true leather material
- Microfiber Lining touches back of hand and has memory foam allowing it to form to player’s hand
Well there it is for you! The list is set and now the discussion can begin. Overall, we believe that our Glove Experts made some pretty good recommendations for first base mitts. However, if you still have some questions, feel free to send them our way by calling us at 866-321-4568, by emailing us at email@example.com, or by clicking here to chat with us.