From the time we are little kids to the last time we hang up our cleats, playing catch fills a pivotal role in player development. It’s much more than just throwing a ball back and forth to one another --- It’s a confidence booster, a conversation starter, a relationship builder. It can be the bond between a parent and a child. Playing catch is essential (as you have likely gathered,) but how do you teach a child how to play catch? How do you teach a kid how to throw a ball? What’s the proper technique for throwing a baseball?
Well, grab your glove and get ready because we’re about to throw all of these answers your way.
Easy Steps to Learn How to Throw a Ball
We have broken the process down into a series of simple steps for those looking to teach their youngster(s) how to throw a baseball or softball.
- To start, determine your player’s dominant hand.
- Have them hold the ball in this hand, stand upright, with their shoulders and feet turned to create a line towards the target.
- Space their feet at shoulder-width apart, with a slight athletic bend in the knees.
- Extend their non-dominant hand forward, drawing a straight line across the shoulders to the end of their fingertips.
- In the final movement, as they circle their throwing arm around, have them push off their back foot, rotating their hips and pulling their glove hand back towards their body. Release at the apex and bring their back foot forward so that their feet are now square with their shoulders.
While some players will naturally take to throwing a ball, many will require patience and practice. Be sure to always encourage their progress. The more encouragement they receive, the more likely they are to stick with it and want to get better.
Resources for New Baseball Coaches
At first, it can be really exciting to volunteer as your son or daughter’s coach. But then reality hits, and you’re in charge of coming up with practice plans that include engaging, skill-developing drills. But fear not, your friends are JustGloves, and JustBats have everything coaches need to get ready for your first practice. Use any or all of these coach resources to make your life a little easier.
- 5 Fun Tee Ball Drills
- 10+ Drills for Fastpitch Softball
- Tips to Become a Better Fielder
- Blog Posts for Training
- How to Slap Hit
- Bat Resource Guide
- Glove Resource Guide
So the next time your kids are bugging you because “we’re bored,” grab a couple gloves and take a step outside for a game of catch. Start them early, teach them the game, and watch as they fall in love with it. It’s exciting to think about the next generation of the diamond, and we hope your young players are part of it.
If you’re new to the game, we’re JustGloves. We sell notable brands like Wilson and Rawlings, but we aim to be more than just an online shop for baseball gloves and softball gloves. Our goal is to grow the game and provide you with a top-notch experience along the way. We have a team of Experts dedicated to answering your questions and putting you and your player(s) in a position to be successful. That being said, always feel free to contact us via phone, email, or live chat. We’re more than happy to talk about the game with you. It’s more than just a slogan; we’re really here for you from Click to Catch!