It can be easy to just throw your glove into your bat bag at the end of each season and forget all about it until you need it again. But you could be costing yourself years of use by doing so. Here are our tips for the perfect glove care.
Glove Care Tips
The first tip is to recognize that your glove’s leather will deteriorate when subjected to exposure with moisture or heat. Therefore:
- Always store your glove in a dry space.
- If your glove does become wet, let it naturally dry-out before applying any additional oil.
- Wear a batting glove to protect from sweat and prolong the life of the inner lining.
The next tip revolves around oiling your glove. Sparingly, apply glove oil to your glove’s leather to extend its lifespan. But remember, less is more.
- Too much oil will cause your glove to become heavy and may even damage the model.
- Use an old rag or towel to apply a small amount of oil to your mitt’s leather.
- Always allow 24 hours for the leather to absorb the oil before adding any additional.
- At the end of each season, lightly apply glove oil to keep your mitt from drying out.
The final tip is to simply run routine maintenance at least once a season.
- Be sure to tighten any loose laces or knots.
- Clean your glove to remove it of any foreign substances that may harm the leather.
- This includes the inside of your glove where any salt or acid build-up can commonly occur.
- And be sure to have your glove professional assessed if any tears or rips become noticeable.
Trusted Glove Prep
Now available on every glove we sell, you can select for our glove experts to carefully prepare your new mitt for a faster, more efficient break-in process. We would like to emphasize that we will not fully break-in your glove because we know the importance of breaking in a glove to fit the specific player that will be using it. Therefore, we will soften the leather and perform a series of mindful actions to set your glove up for the perfect break-in. If you would like to read more about our Trusted Glove Prep, feel free to read about it in our latest blog release.
JustGloves Glove Care Kit
And if you are interested, be sure to check out the JustGloves Glove Care Kit. Inside we offer two applicator sponges, glove conditioning oil, a plastic shaping ball, two jumbo-sized rubber bands, a wooden mallet, and instructions on the precise ways to care for your glove. It’s the perfect package for all your glove care needs. We’re JustGloves, and we’re with ya from click to catch!